"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, April 20, 2009

Koumassi, diesel fumes, and strange bedfellows

Ya sis bailey just said that she was calling to get the email of some family members. The keyboard is fine. i can type much faster each time. sounds like the boys are doing good. tell the boys good job on everything they aƩre doing! i wish i could write more about each thing.

casava is a root? weird. when it is ready it looks like bread. it tastes literally like vomit.

the corvette sounds cool. i kinda wish i had it... BMW and Mercedes are crazy cheap here. like 4000 for a model before the new ones and in pretty good shape. M3s are cheap too. 5000 for a NICE one. There's so much diesel smoke. it sucks breathing sometimes. like i could stick my mouth on the pipe of the truck for 10 mins straight and thats probably how much i suck down.

actually the guys are taking me out for dinner on the day before or after [to celebrate his birthday]. who knows. if you could send me like 60or 80 bucks for my birthday, that would be sweet. i'm buying a couple of soccer jerseys and two African dress suits. not like a suit jacket. its paints and a shirt. they're being made next week. : ) well to answer your questions, my french is improving and I'm getting used to things here, still take the malaria pills, of course. [he had a native companion tell him that there was no malaria there and he didn't need to worry about taking his meds] no worries.

im actually in Koumassi which is that island peninsula off the city of Abidjan. shoes are great. I don't wear my sandals when going places because i have stepped in things 10 times worse then i think the human body can produce. got a couple blisters. no big. the members are great. incredibly nice and they love me. especially the kids. they'll rub my arms and my hair all the time/.

yes we have a toilet but no seat so you just sit on the rim. i have to wipe it down each time. makes me want to tell them to sit down to pee... lol

French is going good. it doesn't even sound french here. i can understand about half of what people say cause they talk so ridiculously fast. on the plane i could understand and talk a little to the french people, but when we were in the airport in france, some africans were talking behind us and we seriosly thought it was a different language. like a bush language. My french is getting better though. i argued pretty well this morning about something and i can tell people stuff... lol.

[We have a baptismal] font.

the interview [with Elder Golden] was pretty normal. just asked how I was doing and then he gave me some encouragement. he's a really nice guy. i found a couple of cockroaches in my bed this morning. just a little fun fact. [ewwww]: )

I love you all!!!
Love Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment