"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Sunday, October 11, 2009

Finally get our first pictures from Elder Halvorsen from the mish

[But I'm on the wrong computer and will have to insert them later...]

SWEET!!!! You got my pics! Just so you know, when it shows that brick house, right after the photos with the white guy with the glasses on his head and the orange tie, that's where Benin starts. THAT'S SO SWEET!!!! Finally you got to see a bit of my life here in Benin.

Haven't gotten anything yet. P-day's today. I've told Elder Jerman about the packages and I'm going to tell the couple right away. I did Finally get mary's letter though. It had been searched... I feel bad for them [the new mission couple] already cause they're just going to come into this mission and get SLAMMED cause there hasn't been a couple in a month. And they don't speak French...

I'm not sure If I wanna go Summer term. I think my plan is going to be to work for someone for a couple months in Washington, sell the car, then head down to Utah, figure out living situations, find a job, and start school. That's what I would like to do. Elder Guillory wants to come up for 3 or 4 weeks to our place for my homecoming and then hit up Washington stuff with me. Sounds like that was really cool for the boys... I could ordain Chandler as a Priest in FRENCH! That'd be sweet. I would've LOVED that Dakota, but ya, you probably wouldn't of been able to keep it. I wouldn't mind a little old truck either. Just something that runs and looks decent. Even a little S-10. Those are cheap... Maybe you could just try to trade the car for a little truck and sports bike. Nothing less then a 600 Though. Lol!

So obviously, today is P-Day. The conference was good. It was very spiritual and just good to have us all connect. The day after the conference we worked with the President in the field. Said he was impressed how we taught. We're shooting for 7 baptisms this next week. We're hoping all accept. We had a baptism last week. She's really strong AND she was the first person I've baptized to SMILE when she came out of the water, not looking like she was on the verge of drowning. Africans DO NOT like water.

So here's some stuff we've been up to. We had one day which was pretty brutal. We had nine lessons that fell through in one day all in a row... Last week was tough. Then we ran into a HUGE voodoo circle with hundreds of people and these crazy drums just POUNDING and there wasn't space to pass and they were moving towards us so we had to go around. My camera batteries just died too so i didn't get a Pic. Tant pis [too bad]... There was also a Fifa match in the stadium right next to our house. It was Ghana against Benin. It was CRAZY! I could hear people shouting from a mile away. Ghana kicked their butts though. This one kid was funny. He prayed and the only thing he asked for was that Benin scored. Lol! Soccer is a BIG deal here.

So I had a fun experience with the toilet. So I knew we were running low on toilet paper, but I was like I can use what's left and survive. SO I went for it. Mistake... So I run out. So I'm sitting there contemplating what to do cause I already know there isn't another roll in the house. So I start thinking or alternatives. We had a bucket full of water, a shower, and I had the roll of cardboard left from the toilet paper. I made my choice and wished I would've gone with the bucket or shower cause I can't explain the pain I felt from that cardboard that I tore up... Ughh... Africa...

We've been having a lot of Drama in the Branch again unfortunately... It's been really annoying... But things are still progressing and moving on, so we're happy.

I hope you're checking my bank account too. I haven't withdrawn money since Côte D'Ivoire so if there is any withdrawls, that's not me. the H and Y keys aren'"t working too well.

Here's something that's kind of the same as Bro. Hardy's mission. EVERYONE loves to rub my arm and head hair. Kids, teens, adults, people that are just passing. It's so funny. I'm so used to having my hand and arm grabbed when we're just walking around...

Well fam, that's it about this week. If you've got any questions about the pics, I can answer.

LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU ALL A LOT LOT LOT!!!

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment