"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Sunday, October 25, 2009

Voodoo circles, bou bous, and "lets pray"

A bou bou is a native African... Clothing thing... Lol!!! It's REALLY cool!!! Some guy is making me three more as a GIFT! Not the nice ones but the Pignes... I can't really explain it... They're SWEET though and if the boys want one, they can send money. They're 15-40 dollars depending on type and quality.

Church is over the top dramatic... We're thinking of involving President soon. Just too many issues. A small branch is so hard to manage... I don't know how the Leavitts are doing... Havn't really seen them.

No packages... Yes I can find those things. Only powdered milk though and cheese is CRAZY expensive unless it's made here and that's like... INteresting....Sounds like everyone has still been just crazy busy...

I don't have much time right now so I'll just say a couple SWEET things. First off. Monday night we went to a members house to watch a movie (approved movie, The Other Side of Heaven) and we ran to a large group of 5 voodoo Reverands (people that whip people for money with this little branch thing.) So we were like crap. There's no other way around. So it was the four of us and we all just walked right through and they were SCARED of us! They avoided us like the Devil himself. It was really cool!

After watching the other side of heaven was really weird too... I saw the beginning of my mission, where i am now, but it made me sad to see the end... I saw how his mission ended and it just made me think so much... I love the people and I love it here... It's gonna be hard to leave... It's funny cause he struggled with the language, culture, all that! Just like I did. It's just weird to see how it's gonna end... They also say something funny right before each prayer.

They say "Prions" which means "Let's pray." EACH TIME! It makes me laugh SO hard! But also, it's strangely effective... Sorry this is so short...

LOVE YOU ALL SO FLIPPIN MUCH!

Avec BISOUS et mon amour!!
[Google translation: With my love and KISSES]

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment