"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fixing the kinks in the new apartment

This is now the third flipping time that I've written this letter. First time the computer tweaked and THEN after it had erased everything the computer saved nothing, and then the power got cut in Togo. Good start for the morning.

Well I"m in the Souza Nétimé branch. Health is good. Package wasn't rummaged. Out of Deodorant. Africans believe in Roll on only and it's girl marks... New apartment had a TON of problems. Some self proclaimed lock smith took a crowbar to our door and broke the lock. He charged us three bucks. Then water started overflowing in the kitchen and our drunk guardian got his sons, beat the concrete around this big lid thing with hammers, put a ladder down and his son dressed only in a pair of tight boxers went down, no shoes, basically diving in just the worst smelling sludge I've ever seen... Was so gross. Did not receive the reflector stuff either. That story about Chan sounds terrible but super funny. Reminds me of the pooped pants I cleaned up at Home Depot. And With Bro Baxter. : ) You can tell him I did learn a little Fong bé and I'm starting a little Ewé.

Here's a couple little stories. Just after last week's internet we went outide and the Muslims were burning a goat they just killed. Right in the middle of the road. Fun times. We dumped a huge bucket of water on Geisler's head from the roof and started a water war inside the house... Took an hour to clean. Some kids threw a strobe light in the middle of the road and we kept walking, but Geisler stopped to do the Robot, and it turned out to be a mini bomb firework. He jumped so hard and it was So funny.

We were on the roof of this four story building and some kids had spotted us from the roof, so I started doing the YMCA dance and we got about 25 kids down on the street to start doing the YMCA and after the Maccaraina. They cook here buy using grinding stones and coal in these little firepits. Just like the native Americans. Most people cook like that anyways. We got stuck in a huge march for the UFC. We were in a taxi. Dead stop for all the Traffic. And then the next day we got stuck in another when we were walking. It was a bunch of people that were excited for the World Cup. Wow... It was crazy. They block the whole road. Some crazy guy come over and started hugging us and asking for money so we told him to get off and that we didn't have any so I thought I'd pull the I speak English card and he most definitely spoke english too. I just said great. Lol.

Well that message was way better the first time, but oh well... I'll explain more when I get home and have some photos. The 28th is coming fast! The year mark! It's been so fast! I get Kakoo the 14th. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll have my debit card soon too so all is good. Thank you! I love you all and miss you a lot!

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment