"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, February 8, 2010

"John the Baptist", unresponsive kids, and sleeping on roofs

I am opening my first package of garments tonight actually! BIG MARK! Health is great, eat too much, gonna start an exercise program, course I do all that for mosquitos, deet is great. Should last the rest of my mission easily. Haven't tried the Debit again. Didn't get an interview with Golden but tht's okay cause I was really tired with my voice. It kills after all that translating. You asked how my health was twice... LOL! And I got the package with the reflector stuff. Thanks!

So the thing with companions, I know it sounds like I don't like most of them, but it's not that. I love all my companions. I keep in contact with and like them. I just share my feelings on certain subjects. It's me that's going to be reading these again after I get back and I can analyse my life after. Our goal in this life is to better ourselves to become perfect like our Savior, so I want to know my weaknesses. I guess it's kind of a lamely justified reason so I'll omit the other feelings. I've actually become very patient here. I mean kids yell/sing at me everyday telling me that i'm white, a fact I know very well, Old people yelling at me and insulting me all day, but it's weird cause no matter what they say, I love them as a brother or sister I knew before. The kids are innocent I know. I took a video of them singing too. SO FUNNY!

Well the conference was great. Everyone loved Elder Golden's discourse and he got asked some interesting questions. It was great though. We had one baptism last week. We have a good service the 20th coming up.

At the baptisms, they call the person who is going to baptise, John the Baptist. "Now as John the Baptist we have...." Elder Golden about flipped. He was like WHAT?!? I thought it was weird too but none of the other missionaries made a move so I didn't think anything more of it.

So I have a terrible yet kind of funny story... We were walking back to the house in sand like usual. We came to an intersection and there was this group of little kids. Normally they sing or stare at me. This group was coming around the corner and pointing and making noises that sounded like their language Evé. So I thought I'd try to make them laugh and point and act like I could talk Evé too. Kids laugh when I do that. But these kids didn't even see me, they kept walking and I realised they didn't hear me. Kakou explained why they didn't hear me. They were DEAF. Wow... I felt like a total jerk. Kakou was laughing so hard though.

So one person we baptized has become SUPER strong. We gave him a Gospel Principles book, the new one, and the next time we stopped by his house, he had a 4 PAGE TALK written. he asked, how can I give a talk at church? . . .. . That was crazy... He's a great guy.

Last story and I gotta go. So the power has been cutting out every night for the last month. It's always when we're sleeping. So Elder Cruz and I wake up immediately and go outside cause it's too hot. We wait 20 minutes to an hour. Bam. Power. BUT This one night the power cut out around 10 or 11. An hour passed and Cruz and I were too tired. So we took our mattresses up on the roof. We used a TON of mosquito spray and with the great breeze up there were saved from the death heat wave. This is truly Africa. It was a fun experience. : )

Well that's all and I gotta go. I love you all VERY much and got a couple presents for you guys! the boys too.

LOVE YOU!

Elder HAlvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment