"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Back in Benin, then back to Ivory Coast!! Advice for Blake

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! I wish I was there or that it was easier to send stuff off to you guys... Lol! I haven't made the list yet for Blake I think I'll keep this letter short and just add that at the end. I just want to get off some quick things that have happened that I forgot last week and some this week.
We were taking a taxi with this old man driver and he was SHOOTING down the road at night... All of a sudden the guy turns around with his old man gruffy voice, "I gotta make a stop." We were like okay... So he pulls off the road (still on the road of course) and he hops out of the car. We think that he's going to buy gas. He just stood next to the front left tire of his car and... Peed. Yep. Right in the middle of the road... It was ridiculous... Even Elder Bo Bi said, Do these people even use their brains? Lol!
I don't know if I told you guys this story or not, but it's really REALLY hilarious, so I'll tell it again if I haven't yet...
So. We were at this person's house, (now a recent convert) and her mom was there too. Her mom is really old and is handicapped. Her left leg was amputated. So she asked us, in her language, and voici her question. "IS it bad to pray to Mary?" We told her yes it is bad and we explained why. She gave her response to what we said, and her kids started laughing like crazy. We said "Tell us Tell us!" Voici encore her response. "Oh. I know it's bad to pray to Mary. I already told her that I couldn't pray to her anymore."
I've loved being back in Benin and seeing all the people that I baptized and my friends! I stopped by the market to pick up a few things and I'm heading for Côte D'ivoire tomorrow at 11.20 I'm actually going to go visit another family tonight real quick and pass by my old apartment. I stayed at Gbédjromèdé for the friday till tomorrow. It's been good to chat with Elder Cloward again. Just like in Koumassi. It feels like I was never even in Togo... It's the weirdest feeling of all time. That's why I'm telling Blake right now to NEVER hate a sector, cause no matter how bad you think it sucks, you'll miss it like crazy, you'll miss the people and you'll be thankful to God EVERY DAY for all that you learned. Don't EVER forget that or you'll regret it.
The list.
Mesh garments only. (I've given away my other types to the branch)
LIGHTEST pants you can find. Three pairs only.
Don't bring a pillow. It wastes space in your bags. They have pillows for you and they're cheap if there isn't one.
Just bring one pair sheets. Two if you really want to, but it's not necessary. One pair of shoes. Check that one with Bro. Hardy, but here, shoes are cheap and everywhere. Two pairs of shirts, one pair of pants, two t shirts, (maybe three) and a LIGHT sweatshirt. I think they call that a windbreaker. 2 belts that DON'T MELT in extreme heat. Don't over do the mosquito spray. I gave a lot of that away and missoinnaries leave some in the apartments. You don't need a butt load of medicine. IN fact I only take doxy. ok. 1pair of drylux for when you get cold. Soap, toothbrush, shampoo, toothpaste, all that is easy to find. Bring this towel from Missionary mall. It's super light and really good. Cloward still has his. I hate my heavy towel. Don't buy baptismal clothes. Not necessary. They have them there. I'll think of other stuff later.
I love you all and miss you!
Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment