"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Sunday, May 24, 2009

Learning to cook and gaining a new resolve!

I really don't have any time to write this letter because there's a billion people in here right now, I'm sweating to death and the server's so clogged and there's people breathing down my neck. It's driving me insane. Well Sorry mom. I can't really respond to all your questions. Haven't seen Elder Dunn, yet. Don't use my poncho. Haven't gotten your package. French is coming along good. Yes the "newness" has worn off. It's just normal. Most days are really good. I read the whole email and there's just too much to respond too. You know me well enough to know my thoughts. There's some important things I would like to share and I have ten minutes.

First a couple of stories:

I can successfully cook 6 dishes now. I enjoy them a lot. All three of my belts have melted to my shirts... Elder N'Dri tried my mouthwash and started running around and spit it out and said "cut off my toungue!!! Cut it off!!!" Lol. I learned to get Mango's out of trees. Use rocks. Lol. Can you ask the other Cote D'Ivoire Elders Mom's if they can understand the people in France perfectly? I'm worried about that... Have you figured out the price of shipping to here?

I've now named the Shower room "Satan's Sauna" cause when you're finished you start sweating like crazy because of the water steaming off your body and the humidty in the room. 6 minutes... Also, I found another huge spider in my room and freaked out... Probably still in there... Also they said that big one isn't the dangerous one and there's one that's about... 4 to 5 times bigger.... Fun times but, TIA. I'm glad I got sole points for that...

So I have this insane story about me... And I don't have the time to write it all. But I think my comp is going to give me a little time... Well I told you the story of my "physical breaking point" with Elder Bga and I had my spiritual breaking point, but not because of my companion. I was just so depressed because of a wide variety of things. I seriously was done. For 30 minutes I just sat and thought to myself, I want to go home. This is ridiculous and I don't feel this is as effective as I should be. I didn't even feel like a missionary. It was bad... But I talked to my companion a little and it was weird. I bore my testimony to myself and just broke down and was filled with this new resolve to be a servant of the Lord and forget about the living conditions. Forget about the heat. Forget about everything that is difficult here and get working. I want to be able to look back and tell my kids, "my mission was difficult and i stayed. You can do it too."

I love you all so very much. Thank you for all the support

Love Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment