"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mom's favorite letter so far!!

About shipping. I thought that austin wanted some stuff. And I could get some Boubou's and an african dress for you and you guys could wear them to church. They're SO COOL! How did Elder Dunn send pictures home? Did you see I've lost a ton of weight? Man I looked at pictures of me in the MTC and pictures of me now... Ai ai ai. I don't know an Elder Olsen... That's so great for RJ! Tell him congrats! I have no idea if they have hometeaching here... Ya about the $50. That was for my birthday. I spent 20 bucks at this mall I didn't know existed. We have to take a cab and there's guards everywhere... But I got Jelly, soy sauce, some bread, nutella, and a chocolate lindt bar with caramel. I most definitely had a PBJ. The Africans thought it was weird... Lol!

Ya I'm going to dump all my clothes at the end. I'm about to dump my suit. Found mold all over it. I'm gonna have a suit custom made for me probably. They're SWEET! Ya I heard about the other missionaries. How did Elder Dunn send pictures? The thing I bought wasn't the right thing for my camera card. The rainy season is here. I took a video. It's flippin crazy. Thunder EACH time. It's cool. Power always goes out too. Lol. We found a ton of people. We should have 10 baptisms this month. possibly 5 to 10 more. Well that's all the questions I think.

Here's some stuff that's been going on. Everything has been good for the last couple of nights.

Mom's gonna like this.[Yes...yes she does. It's so refreshing when they finally "get it"] Boys. HELP MOM WITH DISHES AND CLEANING AND WORKING!!!!! I can't tell you how frustrated I've been with that. I wash the dishes BY HAND each morning and night and then each Monday we scrub the floors with water and this rag. It stinks and I get so flustered with everyone cause if I don't clean, it becomes absolutely disgusting. And what makes me mad is I didn't help as much as I should of and we had a MACHINE that washed the dishes for us. SO HELP HER! Or come to Africa for a week and I'll show you how it's done.

Thank you so much for Jesus the Christ. I started reading it last night and EACH line is blowing me away. I stongly reccomend everyone in the family and everyone preparing for a mission to read that book. It's just mindboggling.

My french is coming along fantastically. I can understand almost everything people say. I've been learning about 50 new words every three to four days. I'm actually beginning to have a larger vocabulary then the people here... I say words in French and they have no idea what I said. Like the verb to squint and to snoop for example. Lol. I should be fluent in about 2 months. I'll be very good in 1 month.

Here's an important principle for the boys. If you don't work in unison, you don't work. Not because you don't want to. It's because you can't. After I solved my problems with my companion, we teach, work, and do everything in harmony and singing and with the spirit. I wish I would've been more patient with you all and shared more of how I felt. I just see what life could've been like before this and it took to show me that in a country 7500miles away from home. I really do love you all so very much and I know that if i continue to persevere, I will always have the spirit of the Lord with me to help teach, learn and speak the things that I have been called to do.

I love you all very much,

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment