"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Sunday, June 14, 2009

Getting into the groove of mission life

Dang that's a lot of funny stuff. With Chandler and Blake. Everyone sounds like they're dying [metaphorically speaking]. That's really bad news about RJ. [RJ is a friend of Cameron's who's lung unexpectedly collapsed...it's common in late teen, skinny boys. But he has fully recovered and is now serving a mission in the Dominican Republic] I know the Lord will prepare a way for him. He's in good hands. Thank you for all you've done. Packages, info like the french speaking. Elder Hubbard wasn't very happy with me. I read his french letter. Lol! Thank you for that info.

The poeple have one college here. They do have buses, but really they're just mini vans. I think you have to pay too cause one of my freinds here walks to school. That's a 45 min walk. Stinks.

Anyways. Sounds like everyone is semi well. No you didn't send me diareha stuff. I think my body has fully adjusted to the food and stuff. For example. I was eating some rice the other day and I found this ball thing in my rice. It most definitely was a fish eyeball. Didn't even phase me. I just kept on eating. LOL! One picture came through. They take forever to come through. And Dad. You're hilarious.

Well some stuff about here. I saw The Elephants!!! It's the Ivorian soccer team. I'm really into soccer and Rugby now. I also had this different form of baka a member bought for me and I had to eat it. (obligation) and I was choking down the bites. It was bad.... It's been raining the last couple of days. It reminds me a lot of home. I miss playing games with my brothers and doing fun stuff inside when it rains like this. I got pretty soaked. We eventually took a taxi because it was coming down so hard and ithe water was up to the running boards and then we got stuck in a stupid intersection for 30 mintues.

This computer is incredibly slow. Sorry. Not a lot to send today. The 25th is transfers and I think I'm going to be transferred. I got a buzz cut. I've never had my hair this short but I love it. Except the massive burn I got the next day. Lol! I look and feel so different now. I think only a mission can do this to a person. In every way I just feel different and I know it's all been a blessing of the Lord. I taught a class on sunday in French too. Nobody answered my questions so I felt really down, but we had a member of the 70 at our ward and I think he's the first black 70, but he gave me a little pep talk and I felt better after that. I only had 20 minutes to prepare too. AI AI AI .

Well That's all I really have to share today. The baptisms are normal I guess like the US. Just in French and everyone is black except elder cloward and me. The people I am teaching are interesting also. I love seeing them understand and grow. It's like my patriarchal blessing said, I will love the people and baptize many!

I love you all very much and hope all continues to be well.

Love ya!

Elder Halvorsen

P;S; It's easier for me when all your questions are at the beginning of the letter cause I don't have to spend time searching for them. Thnk you! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment