"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, June 29, 2009

Dialects and walking

[Benin] is pronounced Ben IN.

There's a thunderstorm here every time it rains. Actually 19 people died in Abidjan last week cause it flooded so hard... Sorry about the random french. Some words are just easier to say in French. Lol!

I'm so wiped out right now. Walking 10 to 15 miles a day does that to you I guess... Here is crazy... There's so many flippin motorcycles... and the power goes out all the time. About three times a day is normal. It's just as hot here as in Coté D'Ivoire, but it's much quieter which is nice.I think that's the first thing I noticed when I got off the plane...

OH I'm another hour ahead now and I guess sometimes it's two hours and sometimes it's just one because of the Tropic of Cancer thing??? Anyways, I love Bénin and my French is doing amazing. Elder Lah speaks so dang fast, so my comprehension is really jumping. I need a video of him and me talking... lol! There's also a French kid in my house, so that really helps too. I have three different accents just in our house. I'm really excited to learn Fong gbé and Mina. It's so weird... It's got words from a bunch of languages mixed with these grunts and African sounding words... Don't know how to explain that any better...

Love,
Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment