"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, July 20, 2009

Bargain shopping and interesting diet

I haven't been able to take a lot of pictures like that, because like you said, I'm not supposed to act like a tourist. Also two other reasons. Once you take a picture, EVERYONE wants their picture taken, even if you'll never see it again... And then the other is when you see poverty like this, you just feel bad taking random pictures of any place where there's people in the photo that you don't know. It's hard to explain.... But i have good pictures. I'm sending the card home in September. So SOON you'll see the life I live, however so slight.

We have been surviving on rice and spaghetti with just soy sauce for the last two days. Toay was our "rétablissement" cause we got our money. Lol! We even started eating rice with just ketchup. Ya it was bad. Lol! TIA.

I've become quite the little barginner (I haven't spelled that word in a while. Quittes là!) with buying things. This lady wanted 1000 Francs for these ties I liked and I just said, "Non Maman. ça n'est pas juste. Je vais vous donner 500 chacun. Elle a dit, non non mon fils. 1000.
[Google Translation: "No Mom. It is not fair. I'll give you 500 each. She said, no no my son. 1000"]

I ended up buying six for 3000 and I said, Quoi? Non Cadeau Maman? Mais vous avez dit que je suis ton fils. Vous devez donner un cadeau à ton Fils.
[Google Translation: "What? No Gift Mom? But you said that I am your son. You must give a gift to your son"]

And I got another tie for free. Lol! It was great. They think that because I'm white that I have a ton of money, but that most definitely isn't the case. Oh. look up Mesabo. That's the Market I shop at. Supposedly it's really big...

Love,
Elder Halvorsen [the bargain shopper]

No comments:

Post a Comment