"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Sunday, July 5, 2009

Food, animals and public restroom facilities...oh my!

Hanging out at the mission couple's home -- Elder and Sister Black -- for the 4th of July.


Abofongea? That's Fong for bonjour. You can only really do Fong Phonetically. Yako is a word in Bouwly, a language in Coté D'Ivoire. Lakai Bangies are a sweet type of sandals. Jatalas are ties. Accumé is a corn paste that's amazing. Atieke is cassva mashed up with sauces. dégué is a drink that's like yogurt rasins stuff... Bisap is a purple drink that I can't explain. It's amazing. And then Rognon is liver in this sauce that is flippin amazing. That would be easier if you just sent it to the mission home for Elder N'Dri. Rainy season is cake. A little soaked all the time and everything floods, but no big. Works goin good. Tiny branch but we just baptised two people on saturday and we think we'll have 2 to 5 more the 18th. My new companion is great. En fact he'll probably be sending you an email here pretty soon.

Ya I heard about Jackson the day after he died. That's good that Tabby is engaged. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I JUST READ THE PART ABOUT BLAKE!!!! Alright gotta stop laughing. All the Africans look at me funny...

Ya I've used a sheet a couple times. I'm going to freeze when I get home. And It's gonna be weird when I first realize I'm not sweating... I forgot to tell you about the motos. Most are little Suzuki and Chinese brand 100's. Occasionally there's the 125. Tons of scooters ranging from 80 to 125. You rarely see anything bigger. There are a couple Dirt bikes that are nice. I've seen one crotch rocket. All are four stroke. And THERE ARE MOTORCYCLE TAXI'S! The little one hundred's normally. I've seen four people one on bike. I've also seen them carry someone holding glass panes and dressers on them and three bags BIG BAGS of heavy things... We're talking full sized dressers too... I'm in Cotonou, Minnontin. The food is really hard to explain, but I can make most of it already... So I'll make it when I get home. Can you see if you can aquire cassava over there? That's pretty neccesary.

Alright. SO this week was very eventful. I met the daugther of Satan. Her house was the darkest place I've been in in my life... And she was horrible... Everything we said she said no that's not true. No that's not true. It was just dark. I started feeling really sick in her house and really tired... I was seriously depressed in her house too. As soon as we got away from here house I started feeling better. It was horrifying to see that the power of Satan is very real. Everyone says that but you don't really understand until you experience it...

Lighter things, my intelligence with the scriptures is improving very well. With my French, I still miss a couple of words but it's doing well. I'm improving rapidly. I'm going to start learning Fong bhé in a month too. Then in Togo I will learn Mina.

The animals here a little different. Like the 5 foot long bats that fly around at night and the goats and pigs that run around. I've seen a baboon here and a bunch of monkeys, but only even as pets, not wild.

I found a game they play called Awalé and I'm buying that today. It's like Mancala, but not.

The fourth was fun for me. I woke up and started belting the National Anthem. Then i found my hymn book and sang all three verses. Elder Ghisquiere was just like, American. Lol!

We saw a little girl get hit by a motorcycle. She was literally rolling in the street... It was crazy... Her sister ran back and picked her up. She was in crazy bad shock but after 10 minutes she seemed to be doing good... It was just scary and crazy. The driver just yelled and tried to justify himself then drove off. Just like that. It's a different world here...

Have I talked about bathrooms yet? They have these public restrooms but you have to pay and they're disgusting. Never used one of course. Most people just pee right on the side of the road anyways. Like... Right in the open... No shame in Africa. TIA.

Thats all that was really exciting anyways.... Lol! Fun times in Bénin. I really do love it here. OH!!! I forgot.. I said that I always take a shower and always have water last week right? Ya. That night, we didn't have water for almost that entire week, but luckily we have a little well just outside our apartment so we could wash..

Well love ya all and missed you guys more then usual this week. I'm going to try and send every gifts for their birthdays this next week, but we'll see if it's crazy eexpensive or not.

LOVE YA!!!

Elder Halvorsen

Almost forgot. Elder Black needs my Missoinary call and also a criminal record report letter from the police saying I don't have a criminal record. He said if you can just scan and email that, that's great. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment