"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Sunday, July 12, 2009

Learning F)ongbe (that's how you really spell it)

I had a couple [of baptisms this week]. My total is nine now. We don't have any scheduled for the 18th cause we had meetings and such. But we've got a couple scheduled for the 1st. I was trying to hold this, but there are quite a few more mosquitos here. I'm fine, though. Ya We have a filter and If we don't have water, we buy bottled water. sweet about the debit card. Thank you.

But you didn't give me your measurements for a dress Mom... I need that. Ya I can send the card [camera memory card] with Elder and Sis. Black. I was nervous about sending it and losing all of my photos possibly...

So I've started learning f)ongbé. That's the af)ongandea that you wrote. I can just present and say hi bye thanks. Just simple, but it's a start. Ya I'm excited for Christmas too. My mission has already been flying and I'm counting UP to my year mark. When that hits it's downhill, and it's faster going down the hill then climbing it... lol! Ya the girl that got hit was fine. That's funny about the bikers. And sounds like everyone has been crazy busy. Oh, and about Elder Lah, I thought about all those things too. I told him there's a good chance it probably won't work because of our economy, and he knows that. I'll talk to you about that on Christmas.

Well this weeks been interesting. I forgot to tell you how people fill up. There are big Glass bottles of gas on the side of the road, and people pull over and pay the person and bam. Gas. MY shoes I've had gave out. My Hush puppies are doing good though. Oh. I don't know if I've said this, but I'm not Tubabu here. I'm a Yovo. The kids all chant this song; "Yovo! Yovo! Bonjour! ça va bien? Merci!" [Google Translation: Whitie! Whitie! Hello! How are you? Thanks!" Sheesh, you'd get thrown in jail for saying something like that in the states!] It's really funny.

I saw 5 people on a 100 motorcycle. That was... Not safe. I've seen people carrying televisions the same size as ours on the back of motorcycles. OH! On top of Cassava, can you see if you can find music from Côte D'Ivoire, Bénin, and Togo? We had a zone conference, which is for the 10 missionaries in Bénin. We met in Gbèdromédé. Elder Anulou of the 70, the guy that gave me a boost of confidence, was there, along with the president. It was great. You've got to get the movie, A Journey of Faith too. AMAZING!

I think I talked about our little well where we draw water... That's fun. I gave a talk in Church and then right after that, taught the young men. That was a lot of fun. I really love it. I've had a little stomach problems today. The president, Elder Black and Elder Lah gave me a benediction so I could be better and immediately I felt better. You've gotta love this church and the power we have as the true church of God! Well I think that suffices for today.

Love you all! Adabo!

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment