"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, March 22, 2010

Cat, cow skin, and the mish is still good!

Sold the Truck... Oh man... I loved that Truck. Oh well. Got a new sink but the Water company charged us cause we cut the water to our house to stop the flooding. WOW! Toilet [paper] isn't really expensive. Honestly life is better without it. : ) Health is good. I got a stupid little cold but nothing too big. Weather has been a little over cast but makes it hot still cause of the humidty. It's rained a couple of times but only at night.... HAd to use a sheet! Love It.

Companion is doing better. We had a little "repentance" thing and it went well. Been good ever since. Oh and something crazy. I have MASTERED my anger. That is right. I have NOT gotten angry or let myself say anything stupid out of rage. One big accomplishment in my mission.

I don't really know what I want for my birthday... Deoderant would be cool. Just pictures. Stuff. Lol!

e had FOUR baptisms! I'll tell you one story about that later. Church was good. Another interesting story.

Number one. I got to eat another cat. They didn't kill it the same way this time though... They cut his throat. It was really gross. I didn't take pictures. But I've decided I really don't like cat... The meat smells like pee. [ewww..]

We had a marriage at the Church. It was beautiful and really well done. It made all us missionaries just think of the future... UGH! Lol! Also they were doing a dance thing like at all weddings and Noah kept saying the dance floor was open and nobody moved, so I ran up to the front, grabbed a chair and everyone started busting up laughing. Then everyone started dancing. Got pics of that.

Apparently I sleep talk in French. My companion said they came in the room to scare me and I shot up out of my bed and then said in French "What? What do you want?" Then fell back asleep. I do not remember that at all...

Had another delicious meal. Cow Skin. It is DISGUSTING! They kept telling me that Americans are weird cause we eat only the meat. I almost threw up when I chewed on that skin. I barely swallowed it down.

We had a stinkin power outage for two days. It was intervals of two hours for the two days. All my clothes are garbage from sweating in them so much. Lol!

I did pick up a pair of shoes in cote D'Ivoire but I gave them to a member that didn't have a pair in Benin...

So the baptism. We had four baptisms. I baptized three and Kakou baptized the other one with two other candidates. WE BAPTIZED AN OLD GUY! He's 62 and he leaves his house at 6 thirty to be at church at 8 thirty. He is great. I'm gonna give him a pair of my old pants. But his baptism was so funny! After Kakou finished the baptismal prayer, Paul the old guy, shoots his hands into the air in praying formation and almost drops in the font. Kakou caught him and put his hands where they should be and pushed him under. Lol! I love baptisms.

And the Church story. So we had a non active member come back to the church. He wanted to do an activity to help bring people into the church. We said that's great! What do you want to do? He said well. I want to gather a bunch of people that are sick, and have problems and bring them to the courtyard. I received the power of Healing from God and want to heal them all! We looked at each other like Oh no... Then he told us to look at his hands and how they were glowing with power. They gave him a blessing and he's calmed down a little.

Also, the elections are over but it's the aftermath that's rough. It should have finished last week. We'll see.

I love you all!

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment