"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, March 1, 2010

Some flew over the cuckoos nest

Health is great. Sunday was good. We had seven investigators come. Baptisms are next week. Looks like we got one. Maybe two.

Haven't heard much [about the elections in Ivory Coast] but I don't think it'll be that big in Côte D'Ivoire. Here in Togo, there's just people with whistles on motos and sitting on top of vans going by at 35 MPH. Like twenty people on the roof. They're so strange...lol.

I think that what Blake feels is best, that's what the Lord wants for him, even if I miss him for a while... Home teaching isn't that great. We're helping fix that. Yeah people walk around no matter how hot. It's when it rains that no one goes out...

That Golf sounds like... Fun. Lol! Cars. Not missing the fixing part. Though it pains me to see these mechanics here taking apart motorcycle motors and putting the pistons and rings in the dirt and then putting them back in... Huh. I wonder why my motor is making funny noises AFTER it went to the mechanic? Lol! Sand is just everywhere. Cold Stone closed? That's sad. But it IS Washingon... It's already cold there... Should make like a sauna place. People come and pay to sit. Cheap to do AND low maintenance.

Well don't got much time. We're in a TINY cruddy cyber today so yeah. Here's some stories. Oh and I can't find GOOD black socks. I bought a pair... IT lasted three days... Okay. So here are the stories. So Elder Cruz and I were outside and we were kicking the soccer ball back and forth and we started kicking it harder and harder until we were pelting it. So I kicked it high and it almost hit the light. I was like dang. That was close maybe we should stop. SO Elder Cruz kicks it and I see it fly stright towards the light above me... My mouth just drops and I duck and cover my head. Elementary school fire drills taught me something! So the light explodes and Cruz comes over, Are you okay? Ya I'm good. You get any glass shards on you. Ya but man, those glass shards are hot. Lol! I didn't get cut it was really funny.

These next stories all happened the SAME DAY!

Had another crazy guy experience. He looked completely normal. He was walking next to us so we thought that he was just going in the same direction. So we get a little ways out and then we decided to ditch him at this store and talk to a less-active member. Before we even go in the store he gets in front of us and talks to her in Eve [ev-ay - the local dialect]. She looks at us and says go and come back later. I was just like what? So I got kinda ticked off at this guy. I said "What's your problem? Why are you following us? and he said " I thought you guys were for the elections" And we said no so now you can leave. And he said" well I want to teach with you guys" and we were like you can't teach with us we don't even know you. And then he said My stomach hurts... We were done after that. We told him You've changed your story three times in thirty seconds, what do you want? And he wouldn't talk, so I said we're going this way, you're going that way, got it? So we start walking awy and we turn around and he is RUNNING towards us. So Kakou and I had just had it. We told him to tell us why he was following us or LEAVE. So he wouldn't so we told him he had to start walking and we weren't going to move until he was a good distance away. We took a TON of back roads too. It wasted so much time.
So we reach our destination. Guess what? Another crazy! He tried selling us A WALL! I guess he's some guy that thinks he's an artist and just finds like trees and jars and buildings and signs his name on them then tries to sell them... Lol!

Then after that we started heading home and ran into a campaign with Voodoo guys. Wo I took a picture and we kept going. Lol!

Then that night, we did a random contact at this house and we walked in. Before we even said ANYTHING, he told us to sit down, so we introduced ourseleves and sat down. That's when I noticed two bottles completely dressed up in this funky bead and leafy stuff. It looked EXACTLY like Jack Sparrow"s hair. After we had talked a little bit, that's when he said some crazy stuff. In his OWN words. "I love the story of Adam and Eve and how they were Africans and through them, Jesus Christ was born into this world an African too." That's our cue to leave. I just said., "Ya. That's true. Thank you for your insights, we're going to finish with a prayer..." ALL THE SAME DAY!

Then sunday, we were dumb and didn't plan our food well. So I found a little left over rice, a can of spam I had. I added the seasonings you gave me with a little soy sauce and had a meal. YA AFRICA!

I love you all very much. I might need a money transfer. I'll know next week. I want to ship some stuff home. I know it's gonna be kind of expensive. I have some little gifts for you all. Love you!

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment