"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, July 19, 2010

Lounging by the pool and eatin' chicken bones...





Mom... You wired me money how? Did you send it by Western Union? I need the code and the transfer number and all that. I tried EVERY bank that accepts my card and EVERY single one was "en panne" or broken. Lol! Togo is something else.

So I didn't really explain the pictures... I forgot what I sent too... so I'll explain it at home! But I'm sending you four pictures today. I'll explain them later.

LEGERE AND FORMAN! Punks... Not gonna lie, I would love to be home for Christmas (sings the song in his head "I'll be there for christmas" lol) but I don't see how that would EVER work out.

Retention is good. there are only branchs here. It's a district. It grows well but there are a lot of old in actives. for example. We had our conference. 525 some odd members. 135 really active... Ya. REally sad. apparently there was a type of "tribal war" in the branch and it chased (I think I spelled that wrong) a lot of people away...

Ya I was up to date with the leavitt story. They don't hide much do they? I didn't want to tell you guys that kinda stuff. I know how mom would flip if I told her stories like that... All that matters is I'm safe! I'm not gonna do something stupid, unless it's overeating cause a member prepares and you don't want to insult her and your companion is already stuffed from lunch and... Ya. That killed.

So With the suit. If Bro. norris wants to just wait till I get home, i'll throw it in my baggage. It's really light and small. He needs to give me his sizes and i'll make it in december when I'm close to coming home. That works? I don't really need anything for Christmas... Honestly... I've become kinda lame for gifts now... You remember the christmas when I got the bag and mosquito spray and I think the camera? Ya. If I got a christmas like that again I'd just die from thrill! I mean I like getting ties and socks now... I feel old... Even one suit and i'd be off the wall... Africa really helps you see things straight and to be grateful for what you have and forget what you don't. I hope America doesn't change that again... Lol! I miss America...

Anyways, I liked the story about the trip in Seattle! I forgot Greg was home! and Kirtly soon! AHHHH! I feel so behind... I'm glad to hear a story about Ruby again! I thought maybe she had died and you guys didn't want to tell me. Lol!

Well here's a little with what happened.

first today. We got the 12 missionnarires with the couple Herr and Dieudonné together and went to a little hotel "The Lake Hotel" and went to see the lake. It's really nice, well... I thought it was. Lol! They have pet crocodiles. We caught a big crab and threw it in and the croc (there are two) ripped it to shreds. It was AWESOME! So we threw in lizards that they caught with the orange heads and they ate them too. We wanted to tbuy a live chicken and throw it in... Stupid chicken was too expensive... Then they'd have to go look for it too... I took videos. We ate there and relaxed took pictures. Just had a fun time.

So here's a new thing I'm eating! I want to get home and do this in KFC and shock them to death... HAHAHAHAHA! the Africans taught me how to eat.......

...................BONES! They're actually pretty good. Inot gonna lie. And whole crab! Shell and all. DELICIOUS! You guys are gonna think I'm weirdo when I get home... Lol!

African Beliefs. My companion honestly believes is Genies and Pygmies... All Africans do. they tell me the most ridiculous stories. Then I ask "have you ever seen one?" "YEAH! in the night time and it was really far off!" Oh. Okay. Thanks. Lol! "Has anyone ever killed one to prove they exist?" "Oh no. Never. They're not easy to kill." Okay. Thanks. And they believe in these lizards that breath fire and humans that have this thing were they can't be pierced by bullets and bombs and they destroy armies and stuff... Africa is crazy...

And finally a good french mistake. So I was praying a little fast cause we were late and I've been kinda tired lately, so I wanted to say "and help our investigators to have touched hearts." and instead I said "Help our investigators to go into labor." And I heard my companion start to giggle so quickly I say "IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST AMEN!" And I just look at him and he busts up laughing.

Well thank you for the updates! I'm glad everyone is doing well! I miss you all very much! !

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment