"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Friday, July 9, 2010

Elder Halvorsen wants a car! (with AC, no doubt!)









When did you get an Ipod? Everyone is constantly connected over there now... Sheesh... Ya Blake told me that he had fun. You can use my [paint ball] gun to shoot the deer. My tank is cheaper to fill up, too. It's compressed air. Maybe a buck or two. Transfers take place when President wants them to take place. You travel by yourself to the next place.

I got mom's email only. I didn't get one for Dad... I think you guys sent it to my yahoo account. I'll check there. Sounds like the week has been busy! And cold..; I don't know how I'm going to support that... We'll just wait and see. Blake writes me every week now actually for a month or so. I really love it! I hope that he doesn't stop like Austin did, though. It's just a nice little thing about them and their lives. I don't write too much back cause I write a lot here. The power got cut last night and that's the reason for which I didn't write last night... That's Togo for ya. I did not get transferred and I don't know why. I know that that'll change though.

I was feeling kinda sick this week. Got a little fever and body aches but it passed. It's been a sick season for the missionaries lately. I guess it's because of the cold weather and the mosquitos. Lol! I'm doing fine though so don't worry. I know how Malaria feels even if by chance I got it. Still with Elder N'Dri. He's good and we get along just fine. He doesn't talk too much but we have good conversations when there is one.

Insights? Maybe. We'll see later in the letter. I don't think there's really anything I need... A car? Can you send me a car?

I just checked. Dad did send it to my other email. I'll just write back a little thing to that letter. This week was still pretty interesting and there's a lot of little things that happen all the time that I wanted to tell you guys too.

I made a natural tea that's really good. I think that I took a picture and it's downloading right now... I forgot if I did or not...

There's a bunch of little girls that are always in front of our door. They draw on our door with chalk and when they sing to me they try to talk to me in Evé but I have no clue what they're saying. So they shake my hand and when they shake my hand they love to kiss my hand and rub my head. (These are little girls 2-8 years old not 16-20) Lol! They're really cute.

There's also a big mom that doesn't speak french and she's always in the same place each day.... Topless... But she loves to wave to us and say "Yo ai zo!" Which means Welcome! So we answer "Yo!" Which is like thanks! She loves that anyways. She wasn't there for two weeks so I thought that maybe she had died, but what do ya know? She's back and topless as ever! Lol! We like when it's cold out cause she puts on a blanket or shirt.

so I supported Uruaguay against Ghana and Uruaguay won! I was happy but I didn't dare show it here. In Ghana even there are people that are refusing to work because they lost. Not just a little group of people either, THOUSANDS of people. Football is big here...

So Germany played Argentina and STOMPED them, 4-0. There was some German people that were surrounded by Togolese fans of Germany in trucks that drove by. They came to a bar and we walked past them and the Germans there liked like (to me) nerds, but they were treated like kings in this case. They were doing really weird dance things and they just thought they were so cool. It was hiliarious. Everyone here thinks I'm German because of my name so when one saw my name he started calling me over and I was just like No thanks! Lol!

This is another story about the little girls. They learned a little French. they ask me what my name is and I respond "I forgot!" and they all scream "I FORGOT!" Like it's my name! Lol! Kind of like Madagascar and the New York Giants thing. Lol!

Insights. I've been reading the Conference Liahona and There's a lot of talks that I'm just loving. There's one in Particular by David L. Hallstrom. It's a talk about letting things not bug us and forgiving and forgetting. There are so many examples that he gave that are so shocking and lines that he uses that are really inspiring. That's what I've been studying lately.

Well that's about it for the week. I hope you all are doing well! I love you all!

Thanks for the letter! I love you and miss you a lot! I've been dreaming about dirt bike riding lately... I talked about the cabin in the mountains of Cle Elum and the fun times we had over there with Elder N'Dri. Just thinking a lot about that kind of stuff lately. Well I'll talk to you next week!

Love,

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment