"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, August 9, 2010

His work is cut out for him!!



A camaro Z28. I looked for one of those forever! What year is it? It's got the 5.7 TPI right? Wow.

Pictures download a lot faster her. I only added four and it was already done when I finished reading your letter! I'll be able to send more. Health is fine. I'm really getting too fat. I'm gonna have to start doing push ups. I hate push ups. I prefer weights... I can't come home fat though... I've gotta be somewhat in shape. Lol!

There aren't too many mosquitos. Yes I use the net. No baptisms this week. I'm in an area with no progressing investigators. Score. So I gotta work my butt off. Wasn't too excited when that was the first tidbit of information I received from my new comp.

That's an interesting dream! Can't believe Blake is taking off soon!

For Christmas, I don't honestly know... I feel like a loser cause I don't really need or want anything... As for families here... I'm not really sure what they would need either... A plane ticket to America? They'd accept that in a heartbeat. But really... There's only like three things I really want but I can't really use these three things on the mission. Like motorcycle, dirt bike, etc. I'll really think about it and maybe have some ideas next week... My camera is acting a little slow sometimes... But if I get a package in december, that's basically pointless and to send a camera in a package isn't a good idea.. lol! I'll think about it.

Well this week wasn't that exciting. We met with the community leader and leaders of our sector to present our message and missionary purpose. I think it went well. We got some contacts so we'll see how that goes.

We did a lot of walking. I spent tuesday and wednesday showing my old sector to Elder Zufelt who took my spot. So I got burned by the sun pretty bad. But it's almost gone. IN Baguida they upgraded the bridge to four planks. Lol!

The branch here is really small. It was 77 people this week. It really depressed me actually. I'm not used to a small branch again... I've become a very sociable person... It'll just take some time to getting used to. The people are all very quiet and reserved... We'll have a conference next week so I don't know if I'll write you guys or not. Elder Sitati of the 70 is coming. President chose Elder Call to translate. I'll be able to take good notes this time.

I've been reading in the book of Acts lately. I've almost finished. There's a lot of good missionary tips and tricks in there (except for the getting stoned, beat with rods, and thrown into jail parts.) Tips about teaching families and using every occasion to speak about the Gospel. It's been almost 5 years since I went through the new testament all the way. I can't believe I've forgotten so much.

That's about it for the week! I forgot to write the stuff that happens too so I'll try to do better this week. I love you all and miss you very much!

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment