"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, November 15, 2010

FLIGHT PLANS!!




That's really funny... You guys actually just gave me my flight plans. I didn't even know I had them. I almost screamed and hit the ceiling that made me so happy! I called all the Elder's over, Dago, Yapo and Muteba to look. DANG! I can't believe it's really that close... It's just too crazy to think about...

Ya I can take a picture like that for you for Christmas. We'll think of something fun or funny to do here at Yakro. Health is fine. I think our water might be infected... We're going to run a test cause the moment I got back, I had those weird bites again... I eat plenty, companion is great. I love how much I have learned about companions on my mission. It's just a lot easier to get along with anyone now! I'm really excited for Blake! We're looking for investigators right now. I don't think we'll baptize this month... We're trying really hard to find a good family... We might have one baptism. Wow my flight plans just blew my mind... That's so crazy. When I get home, I want a BIG jacket and I want to sleep. I'll give the boys a couple gifts before I sleep. I got something AWESOME for Mom and Dad too. Lol! I'm crazy trunky right now... Ok... I loved Austin's fender bender. And with the bikes... If you guys don't use them anymore, I could take one off your hands... Can't believe Kameron is finally out there too. Sucks I wont see him forever...

Okay so for this week, we moved Elder Yapo and Elder Muteba completely into their new apartment. I'm SO happy to have Yapo cause he was a Ward missionary when I was in Koumassi and it's SO good to see him again! He got gigantic... It's really weird... We had a lot of meetings to do to help the District progress so we didn't really have time for ourselves... We found a new family that might be pretty good. We've been doing a lot of door to door lately... It's getting a little harder since we have elections, noel, new years, and all that stuff. So actually if Shane Norris wants a Boubou, he's gotta do it now cause it's gonna get expensive the closer we get to these holidays... Depends on him, but it's 20 to 40 bucks. I don't know what color he wants, or if he wants a cool design. Quality is up in the 40 buck range like my green one. A simple one is 20. Or he can get a pagne one that is like the multi color ones... His choice. Let me know.

I don't know if I told you guys about these stories, but here we go. First there is a WHITE family in the Ward at Riviera. Apparantly he was a missionary 15 years ago in Côte D'Ivoire and he's working for the embassy right now. He was in Belgium. He had the same ward building as me in Koumassi and lived in the same apartment. Lol! That was weird to talk about... They invited us over and we ate at their AWESOME AIR CONDITIONED house and not gonna lie... I watched some of "A Bug's Life..." And they had CARPET! Elder Cruz, Bertoch and I dove on to it and made carpet angels, (When they weren't in the room of course) and we told Elder Lamboni (a togolese missionary) to do it too cause it's amazing. HE DID IT! It was amazing. Carpet... Hmmmm.

Also I learned something about the peppers here! They're habeneros! Isn't that awesome? We use like 5 to 7 in a sauce. So When I was cooking for 14 at Riviera one day, I thought I could fry the peppers then put them in. THe moment I started cookng them, they realesed a SERIOUSLY strong odor that made eyes burn, people cough, and leave the apartment. It was HORRIBLE! Then the new missionnary that was there walks in, "Is that... PEPPER?" and starts coughing immediately. Then everyone came in, "Are you trying to kill us Halvorsen?" ALL the Africans and Americans. So I say, "you guys are weak. *cough* that's nothing. *cough cough cough* Right after I say "that's nothing, the fire alarm goes off. FIRE FIRE FIRE! and there wasn't even smoke. Just the odor of Pepper... So I finished the sauce. Everyone was scared but it wasn't even that hot. Then the Africans asked, why was it so strong though. Wait... Did you FRY the pepper? Ya... Why? WE DON'T FRY PEPPER ELDER HALVORSEN! And everyone started laughing... So don't fry peppers in oil okay? The greatest was the fire alarm. Lol!

That's about it for this week. Nothing too crazy but still loving it here and working hard, even if the sun is getting.. .hotter... Didn't think that was possible... And I have FLIGHT PLANS! BOOYA! Love you all and I miss you guys so much!

Elder Halvorsen


No comments:

Post a Comment