"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Tuesday, December 28, 2010

ONE MONTH LEFT!!




The internet in the whole country was out yesterday and that's why I'm writing today. That's one thing that I've never liked about Bénin...

I love the picture of Ruby! She does look a little more gray but not by much suprisingly. I'm doing well. We've got a couple good investigators for this week. We've also got a couple eating
appointments for new years. I think this week will go by really fast like this week, but we'll get a lot of work done. I heard about Gbagbo kicking the UN out. I think they actually found a loophole in their contract and extended it to stay in the country for another 6 months and they sent more troops in but maybe that was a rumor... Didn't hear about the nationwide strike though...

I need garments when I get home. I think there are enough clothes laying around the house I can have right? Unless Austin took all the nice ones and left me crap...

So Christmas was really fun. We woke up and played hearts till the couple was ready for us to go over. Then we had a little stocking for every missionary with a tie, cookies, a bouncy ball, a water gun and some pens. We didn't understand the water guns until Sis. Herr jumped out with her GIGANTIC one and starting blasting us in her house... Lol! So that turned in to a huge water fight. After the water fight we ate a great American dinner, with ham and pineapple, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad, corn, jell-o.

We did a gift exchange "white elephant" and I got what I bought. Lol! Then we watched "The Princess and the Frog" which was a GREAT movie! I understood the small french they used in the film too! It was weird. And we were all just SHOCKED that they eat sauce Gumbo in America! We thought that only existed here in Africa. It was funny when they said it. EVERYONE just said "WHAT!?!?!" Lol! It was hilarious.

Then we ate fudge, brownies, ice cream, no-bakes, and then we watched "The Princess Bride" and then I talked with mom and dad. The 24th we dressed up as you see in the pictures and danced. It was SO funny! They were laughing so hard! we also sang (in our missionary clothes with matching ties and hats) Silent night and rocking around the christmas tree. We did a dance to that one.

That's about it for this week. Today is my click mark. I now have less than one month left. See ya soon! Happy new year!

Lots of Love,

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment