"C'EST AFRIQUE!"

(French for: "This is Africa") A common term used by the missionaries when they want to express "thats just the way it is because "THIS IS AFRICA"! ie..."the power went out..AGAIN... C'est Afrique...or sometimes denoted as TIA...This Is Africa!!)) Elder Halvorsen has been serving a full time mission since January of 2009 in the Ivory Coast, Abidjan West Africa Mission. This mission encompasses the countries of Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast. He loves it there and is enjoying his experiences serving the Lord and the people of West Africa!!



Monday, August 10, 2009

Bumps, bruises and scrapes

I haven't gotten the debit card yet. I miss eating a lot of things from home... Mac and cheese, soups, sandwiches, steaks, food.... But I learned how to make Acassa! It's this white stuff that's got a really weird texture. At first it tasted horrible, but I LOVE IT now. I'm in Cotonou, Sector Zobhoué, right next to the Stade de l'amitié. If you type that into the comp, you'll be close to where i live. Just right up the road from the stade.

My supply of DEET is great. It'll last till the end of my mission. I just about finished the smallest bottle i have. after four in a half months and i've got four bigger bottles. I'm set. The sunburn stuff is called Burn Gel. I haven't been to the lake but I've heard a bit about it.. The Black's said it was cool but not as interesting as this African village we'll be visiting in a month or so.

Ya Elder asked me how to say your name cause his mom's is pronounced differently. I don't know if the Elder had Typhoid or not, but he's fine. I knew he was sick. He's African.. It was his companion. I don't know if Elder N'dri got it or not... I haven't heard from him... I'll give him a call.

*well a couple interesting things this week. Not much. We meet a couple nigerians. I started talking just normal speed english for me and the guy said he didn't understand french... Their english is SO bad. And then I talked with a beninoir here, and I talked too fast in French and he said he didn't understand Enlgish, so I had to slow down for him... It's been interesting. No I haven't had time to read Jesus the Christ lately... I've been really busy. This last sunday i gave a talk first hour, taught the investegators second hour, and the young girls third hour... .

We played soccer today and that was fun. And.... I got hit by a motorcycle. That was interesting. I'm comletely fine. His leg just hit mine and I started yelling at him in french cause he was driving on the wrong side of the road AGAINST traffic. The motorcyclists here don't follow any rules. Really I'm fine. I played soccer AFTER my experience.

Yesterday was pretty funny. I had just finished teaching a lady about free agency. Her daughter is already baptized and her son is getting baptized. So her son jumped and grabbed onto to ledge of his roof and I was like oh that's easy! So he said no. Don't do it. Really that's not a good idea. So I did it. My hand slipped after I grabbed it and it felt like when you scrape your hand on concrete. I was just like eh. Oh well. Then it started bleeding on a little chunk where the skin was ripped off. I saw blood and became kinda faint...[just like his mother] So I said can i wash my hands? So I went and washed my hands and layed down and put a kleenex on it, and Maman Bridgette, the lady, came in and was like, you're hurt! We're going to clean that. And so she came out with cotton and alcohol. It was the most painful burning pain I've felt here... But it was definitely clean... It's just funny that I excercised my free agency incorrectly and voilà... The consequences... It was funny.

Wasn't anything crazy exciting other then that.

I miss you all and love you all and hope you're doing well!!!

Elder Halvorsen

No comments:

Post a Comment